The Sculpture Project
So this happened...
Not having to clean up my studio has been one of the advantages of sequestering in place as no one is visiting, as well as having lots of time. So I decided to start a project I had been putting off for quite a while, doing some small sculptures with found objects I have collected over the years. My studio looks like a hurricane passed through.
The Project: I decided to only use what I had available at my studio and home, which led to using discarded food containers. I had a big box of plaster cloth and a gallon of joint compound. Wrapping the containers (and other objects) with the plaster and then smoothing out with the joint compound made the pieces hard and ready to accept encaustic, acrylic and CWM (cold wax medium+oil paint). I have a string of outdoor lights ruined when squirrels chewed through the cord. I also have numerous prints made on a press and with the hot plate (encaustic monotypes.) So the experiment began. As I started putting some of the elements together I realized, as with any new project, I would have to do 100 to really get the feel and find a direction. Maybe not 100, but quite a few no doubt!
Here are the first attempts and I have been learning a lot in the process. I will continue adding as I go along. I am grateful for the time I have to keep exploring and learning as we still hunker down as this nasty virus changes our lives.
Update 2022 - I am continuing this project using cardboard boxes as substrates. Again, I coat with plaster, then joint compound and sand. Then go where the whim takes me. Also using found objects.